Product Watch: Emulation Software
Blue Label PowerEmulator 1.5
Unless you have been living under a rock you have heard of Virtual
PC from Connectix. Virtual
PC comes bundled with your choice of DOS 2000, Windows '95 or Windows
'98 and supports a variety of other operating systems as well. Ireland
based Lismore Software Systems
take a different approach.
Blue label PowerEmulator comes sans OS, but instead lets you install
the OS of your choice. Pricing on the emulator starts at a competitive
$29.95 for individual use. Other licencing is available.
- Maximum compatibility with PC programs. Full realization
of Pentium processor and specially programmed emulated BIOS gives
special support for new software as well as for older.
- Fastest Internet connection via modem. Optimized realization
of serial port, which allows to connect at baud rates up to 115 000
- SCSI device support. Emulation of hardware SCSI card allows
use of external SCSI storage devices in PC format as well as SCSI
printers and scanners.
- Direct printing on a PC printer. Serial-to-parallel adapter
support lets you print on PC LPT printers. The second serial port
allows printing on PC serial printers.
- Full control over all the emulator's settings. You can set
up any of the components, including DMA, IRQ settings and others.
- Emulator can be loaded just at computer's startup time. A
special Macintosh extension, similar to Linux's loader, lets you choose
the OS that you wish to boot. This option gives greater compatibility
and resource utilization of the Power Macintosh.
- Booting from CD-ROM. Installing OS from CD-ROM, Floppy Disk
Drive, Floppy disk image (Lismore supplies Floppy disk image, containing
PTS-DOS). Now it is not important where you have your OS: on a hard
disk, on a floppy disk or on a CD - you can choose and install an
OS according to your choice.
- Expandable architecture: emulator has modular structure.
Lismore can increase the number of modules in their emulator without
having to make other major modifications.
Supported Operating Systems
||Windows NT 3.51
||Windows NT 4
Issues fixed in current release:
- Mac clock reset after exiting from the Emulator. This bug appeared
while one uses some versions of Windows.
- CD drive recognition in the Standard Dual IDE Controller setup.
This bug appeared on some newest Macintosh models (usually iMac DV).
- Mouse recognition at emulator startup. This bug appeared in MacOS
- Serial port recognition at emulator startup. This bug appeared on
some PowerBook models.
- Other minor bug fixes.
Blue Label PowerEmulator 1.5 MSRP: $29.95
- Any MacOS-compatible computer with a PowerPC processor
- MacOS 7.5.1 or later
- 16 megabytes of free RAM
- Hard drive with a minimum of 10 megabytes of free disk space
Cross-Platform Software Reviews
All Online Macintosh Hardware and Software Reviews