Product Watch: Recording Music Professionally
On Your Mac ...........It's A Cakewalk!
5 is a complete multitrack digital audio and MIDI studio for the Macintosh.
This latest version features new effects automation, an enhanced user
interface and support for ASIO-compatible audio hardware.
"Metro is now a complete solution for music and sound production,
"said Michael Hoover, product manager for Cakewalk. "Metro
has always been highly regarded as a creative MIDI sequencer, and customers
have praised its unique songwriting tools. These new audio capabilities
put Metro on a new level. Metro users now can produce complete audio
and MIDI projects while still leveraging Metro's unique creative toolset."
Metro 5 allows users to record any musical instrument or sound source,
arrange music with flexible pattern-based sequencing, work with creative
tools like NoteSpray and the Rhythm Explorer, mix in real-time using
automated audio effects, edit and print notation, and create sound tracks
for film, video and QuickTime movies.
What's New In Metro 5?
- Improved user interface
- Support of ASIO-compatible audio cards
- Real-time effect processing with automation
- Up to eight stereo auxiliary busses for routing real-time effects
- Audio scrubbing for quick auditioning of tracks
- Improved drag-and-drop editing of audio
- Crossfades with linear and exponential curves
- VU meters for accurate level-monitoring of audio and MIDI
- Wide range of desktop color schemes
- Context-sensitive, searchable Online Help
- Online tutorials
A recent MacUser UK review
gave Metro 5, 4 mice out of a possible 5 and said this about the product:
"Given its sophistication and price, Cakewalk Metro is a very
attractive program, especially for anyone starting out in computer-based
Metro 5 has a MSRP of $249
5 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
(888) 225 3925
Fax:(617) 441 7887
Key Features Of Metro 5
Multitrack Digital Audio
- Record up to 64 tracks of digital audio
- Record at variable sampling rates from 11.025 kHz to 48 kHz
- Edit and process with sample accuracy and off-line edits
- Apply effects for real-time processing and off-line edits Includes
2-band parametric E.Q., delay, chorus, reverb, flanger, Mono tremolo
- Drag and drop editing of audio regions
- Normalize, reverse, fade, audio
- Crossfade with linear and exponential curves
- Scale amplitude (Gain Change)
- Merge audio (Combine)
- Responsive real-time mixing
- Stereo mix-downs
- Up to 99 tracks of MIDI per section, up to 32 sections per song
- Step record, punch in-out, loop record, sound on sound record, and
- Flexible pattern-based sequencing
- Edit notes, controllers, tempo, pitch bend and drum patterns within
a single window
- Real time arpeggiator for streaming and arpeggio patterns
- Fade, cross-fade and automate volume, pan and other data
- Quantize, Groove Quantize, and Humanize to create perfect grooves
- Pitch, bend and transpose notes
- Drum grid editing
- Criteria-based editing
- Record, edit SysEx data
- Multiple time/key signatures per song
- Velocity editing
- Edit and print notation
- Turn MIDI tracks into notation
- Transcribe a MIDI performance or enter notes with a mouse
- Print scores with titles, expression text, dynamic markings and
Compose for film, video and QuickTime movies
- Sync MIDI tracks to SMPTE/MTC timecode for scoring to film and video
- Import and export audio to and from QuickTime movies
Creative songwriting tools
- Experiment and apply different rhythms in real-time with the Rhythmic
- Paint a musical canvas with the Note Spray tool. Generate notes
within a defined range or improvise freely
BIAS SFX Machine Lite
- Enhance your audio tracks with this multi-effects plug-in
- Comes with 20 special effects presets
Add third-party audio plug-ins
- Add more effects when needed with Adobe Premiere and VST-compatible
Recording MIDI Only:
- PowerPC/iMac with 8 MB of RAM or more.
- Mac-compatible MIDI interface.
- OMS and QuickTime Musical Instruments for internal playback.
- Mac OS System 7.0 or later.
- MIDI Timepiece, OMS, Galaxy, SampleCell, and Unisyn v1.0 supported
but not required.
Recording MIDI and Audio:
- PowerPC/iMac capable of 16-bit input.
- 5 MB RAM free per audio track.
- Real-time effects require additional memory.
- Sound Manager 3.2 or greater for audio input/output.
- QuickTime 2.5 or better required for importing/exporting audio,
displaying QuickTime movies.
CD-ROM required for installation.
Audio Hardware Support:
In addition to Apple Sound Manager, Metro 5 supports ASIO-compatible
audio devices including:
- MOTU 2408
- AudioMedia III
- Event Layla
- Yamaha SW1000 XG
- Korg 1212 I/0
- Sonorus Stud/O
- Alesis PRC
- Lucid PCI 24
Not Satisfied? Visit the
Metro 5 Product Page
- Music and Sound Software Reviews
- Sound Related Hardware Reviews
- All Online Macintosh Hardware and Software Reviews
For Free Macintosh Hardware